Tuesday, April 24, 2012

What a difference a nap makes!

Friends and neighbors keep asking how we are doing and how I am feeling.  I've told them we are doing well and that I am tired.  I've figured I was generally doing quite well.  Then this weekend hit, and the short, late nights caught up with me.

Miss S has generally slept well once she sleeps.  But she and I seem to disagree about what time bedtime is.  If the date has changed to tomorrow, it is too late.  We are still teaching her that.  This past week I have been up still at 1 and 1:30 and 2.  (As an aside, I am extremely grateful for the friends who happily drive carpool.  I'm glad I don't have to drive often or far while I'm so tired.)

I'm not sure if it was lack of naps or a cold that seems to have joined the family, but the last few days I've realized that my brain has turned off.  It has taken great effort to remember the word kitchen or laundry room.  Don't ask me to analyze or decide or brainstorm.  That's much too complicated this week.  My children's names are often turned into a list (I eventually get the right one.)  I haven't been able to understand what my kids are saying if more than one of them is talking at a time.  And then there was the time Young M was telling me something.  I was concentrating on understanding each word when I suddenly realized that I had no idea what the whole thing meant.  This morning as I was helping send children to school, each word of some sentences took effort to think of and remember long enough to say.  This doesn't work.

So when Miss S went to sleep this morning while Young T was still in bed, I let Young M play some cool math games on the laptop in my room while I lay down.  I am pleased to report that I can think again.  I can understand things.  I'm sure I need more rest to catch up, but I am functioning again for today.  And that is all I really need today.


No comments:

Post a Comment