Sunday, December 12, 2010

The Good Samaritan

Recently, I heard a radio segment that I really enjoyed. John Welch talks about an allegorical reading of the parable of the good Samaritan. In it, the traveler is like us. We leave Jerusalem, the one city with a temple, (God's presence) and start traveling toward Jericho, (the world). The robbery and assault is like our own fall and disobedience, and we are left for dead. Along comes the priest (Law of Moses) and the Levite (the prophets) but they cannot help us. Then comes the Samaritan, Christ. And he binds our wounds and carries us to the inn (church) where we can heal. Most of all, he pays for everything. Then he promises to return later.

I've always liked the good Samaritan and the lesson of love we learn from it. But the day I heard it, I especially loved the idea that we have such a loving reminder of the care Christ takes with us. It is so easy to feel the weight of my struggles, the impossibility of all I want to become and do, for it is truly impossible. While I can't do it, someone else can. Being reminded of this brings peace and faith. And the image of having the Lord heal my wounds, carry me when I can't walk, and pay my debts that I can't afford brings a secure comfort I've seldom felt since I was a child.

I later found a more in-depth article here (which I probably read three years ago and promptly forgot. Thankfully, I was reminded when I was ready.)

1 comment:

  1. I agree. The first time I heard Brother Welch and saw his slides, it completely changed the way I saw the story of the Good Samaritan. Love!

    ReplyDelete